BS, MS (University of Guelph, Canada)
PhD (University of Calgary, Canada)
Postdoc (Tufts University, Harvard University, University of Oxford)
An avid fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs who pretends to be a skilled handyman.
BS Biology (Juniata College)
Currently a PhD candidate of Biology, working on molecular dissection of a novel multicellular trait. Resident bioinformatics expert, and a former jazz, concert, and marching band extraordinaire.
- Ulrich, N., Rosenberger, A., Brislawn, C., Wright, J., Kessler, C., Toole, D., … Lamendella, R. (2016). Restructuring of the Aquatic Bacterial Community by Hydric Dynamics Associated with Superstorm Sandy. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 82(12), 3525–3536.
- Pfaller, S., Tokarev, V., Kessler, C., McLimans, C., Gomez-Alvarez, V., Wright, J., … Lamendella, R. (2017). Draft Genome Sequence of Mycobacterium chimaera Type Strain Fl-0169. Genome Announcements, 5(8), e01620–16.
BS, MS Molecular and Cellular Biology (University of Illinois Urbana Champaign)
Currently a PhD candidate of Biology, exploring functional differences among RNA-binding protein paralogs. A science fiction enthusiast, enjoys hiking, climbing, and snowboarding.
- Evans, A. F., O'Brien, S. R., Ma, R., Hager, A. G., Riggins, C. W., Lambert, K. N., & Riechers, D. E. (2017). Biochemical characterization of metabolism‐based atrazine resistance in Amaranthus tuberculatus and identification of an expressed GST associated with resistance. Plant Biotechnology Journal, 15(10), 1238-1249.
- Ma, R., Evans, A. F., & Riechers, D. E. (2016). Differential responses to preemergence and postemergence atrazine in two atrazine-resistant waterhemp populations. Agronomy Journal, 108(3), 1196-1202.
- Devendran, S., Abdel-Hamid, A. M., Evans, A. F., Iakiviak, M., Kwon, I. H., Mackie, R. I., & Cann, I. (2016). Multiple cellobiohydrolases and cellobiose phosphorylases cooperate in the ruminal bacterium Ruminococcus albus 8 to degrade cellooligosaccharides. Scientific reports, 6, 35342.
BS Ecology & Evolution, BA Classics (University of Pittsburgh - magna cum laude)
Joined the lab as an intern through CCAC, and currently works as a technician on various projects with an eco-evo emphasis. Widely interested in topics of systematics, insect-microbial interactions, plant biology, biotechnology, and the evolution of social and multicellular behavior in bacteria. Enjoys reading, rearing caterpillars, and growing orchids. Starting PhD at Emory University in the fall.
BS Industrial Biotechnology (Anna University, India)
MBA (Anna University, India)
Current working as a technican on bacteria-fungus interactions. Enjoys cooking and reading, and learning things from her little daughter Aharthy.
Biology major, currently working as an undergraduate research student to understand how bacteria compete for space and positioning. Plans on attending medical school, and enjoys outdoor activities such as snowboarding, rock climbing, and running, as well as playing the piano and composing songs
Biology major, currently working as an undergraduate research student to characterize bacteria-fungus interactions. Plans to pursue a career in medicine, and enjoys volleyball, outdoor activities, and playing the piano.
John Mauro Gloninger
Environmental Science and Mathematics double major with a Biology minor, currently working as an undergraduate research student to explore phenotypic diversity in bacteria. Plans to pursue a masters degree in the environmental sciences, and involved on campus as co-president of the environmental organization, Evergreen, Philanthropy Chair of Delta Chi, and a devoted Juventus Soccer fan.
Biology major with a psychology minor, currently working as an undergraduate research student to characterize bacteria-fungus interactions. Plans to pursue a career in the medical field, and enjoys painting, reading, and volunteering through her service sorority.
Biology major at the University of Michigan, currently working as an undergraduate research student to engineer a signaling molecule biosensor. Plans to pursue a career in medicine, and enjoys reading, tutoring kids, and baking desserts.
Biology major, currently working as an undergraduate research student to characterize bacteria-fungus interactions. Plans to pursue a career in medicine,enjoys running, reading, and hiking.
High school students
Pittsburgh Science and Technology Academy: Bana AlMoussa
Franklin Regional High School: Grace Fleury, Vineet Madduru, and Zoe Moser
Undergraduate students Technicians Graduate students High school students
Ansu Benjamin (B.S. - graduated) Swagatika Bhattacharya (M.S. - graduated) Heather Allen (rotation) Sarah Adrian (Pittsburgh Science and Technology Academy)
Devin Greene (B.S. - graduated) Brianna Ports (rotation) Bhav Jain (Franklin Regional High School)
Danielle Jungo (Postbac. - graduated) Visting undergrads
Taylor Keck (Duquesne B.S.) Elena McDonald (B.S. Wofford College, SC)